Top Cancer Facilities in California
If you have been diagnosed with cancer in the LA County area, or anywhere across the state of California, you may be overwhelmed with the many choices you have for the treatment of your disease. There are premier cancer facilities across the state of California where you will find a staff that will become a part of your cancer care team. Since cancer requires specialized treatment, it is important that the treatment facility you choose offers the specific treatment you require.
Many people will first find an oncologist or a doctor who treats cancer. Then, based on which facility that doctor works from, they will choose that facility. Other people will research to find the best cancer facility for their specific type of cancer. The type of health insurance you have will also affect the decision as to where you will receive treatment. You might want to speak with others who have received treatment for the same type of cancer you have. If you are trying to choose between cancer facilities in California, consider the following issues:
- How far will you have to travel from your home or office to the facility?
- How much experience does the facility have treating your type of cancer?
- What is the success rate of each facility in treating your type of cancer?
- Does the facility offer support services (social workers, dietitians, other care providers)?
- Does the facility conduct clinical trials for new cancer drugs?
- If the facility is a significant distance from your home or office, are there places you can stay nearby?
- Can you easily access airports, restaurants, and hotels from the facility?
- Is the facility accredited?
Once you have chosen a treatment facility, you will want to find out whether your treatments will be administered in an outpatient setting, or as an inpatient. If you are an inpatient, you stay in the hospital throughout your treatments where you can be closely monitored. If you are an outpatient, you may receive treatment in a hospital, a clinic, or in a doctor’s office.
If you are denied coverage for your chosen facility, the Law Offices of Scott Glovsky can help. We have been helping those in your situation since 1999, and believe you deserve the best medical treatment available and that your insurance company should honor its end of the bargain and pay for that treatment. Some of the premier cancer facilities in California include:
- City of Hope Comprehensive Cancer Center’s main campus is located northeast of Los Angeles, offering a lushly landscaped sanctuary for those dealing with cancer and other life-threatening illnesses. City of Hope brings state-of-the-art medical and research facilities along with serene gardens for spending quiet time. There are additional locations in Los Angeles, Ventura, Orange, and San Bernardino counties, and Riverside. City of Hope was founded in 1913, and today is a National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer facility. City of Hope has been ranked among the nation’s best cancer hospitals in US News and World Report for more than a decade. City of Hope is a pioneer in bone marrow and stem cell transplants, with one of the largest, most successful programs in the United States.
- UCSF Medical Center was the first center in the Bay Area to receive the prestigious “comprehensive” designation from the National Cancer Institute. UCSF offers cutting-edge facilities, innovative research, and comprehensive care programs. The goal at UCSF is to help its patients live longer, fuller lives. UCSF is one of the top recipients of National Cancer Institute research grants. These grants have helped them make great strides in immunotherapy—a treatment that harnesses the body’s own immune system to fight cancer. UCSF also chooses minimally invasive surgical procedures whenever possible. The cancer teams at UCSF understand a cancer diagnosis and treatment can be frightening and overwhelming. Its goal is to support every patient, along with their caregivers, throughout the journey.
- Stanford Health Care-Stanford Hospital is recognized worldwide for advanced clinical care, technological inventions, and scientific research related to cancer. Its newest location is the Stanford Cancer Center South Bay. To world-class specialists and sophisticated technology, it also has spacious, serene, state-of-the-art surroundings. Stanford Cancer Center South Bay offers the most advanced, innovative cancer treatments, along with more than 300 clinical trials and the efficiency of a single, convenient location. Stanford Cancer Center South Bay is located at 2589 Samaritan Drive, San Jose, CA.
- USC Norris Cancer Hospital—Keck Medical Center is a leader in the drive to eradicate cancer. The mission of USC is to treat and prevent cancer through research, personalized patient care, and advancing and integrating education. USC Norris is one of the eight original National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer centers in the United States. USC has been revolutionizing cancer research for more than four decades, with novel cancer treatments and innovative surgical techniques. The Adolescent and Young Adult Program addresses the psychological and sociological challenges faced by young patients during their cancer treatments.
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center is a nationally ranked cancer center, treating more than 60 different types of cancer. The Samuel Ochin Cancer Center has a team of experts that work to build the best treatment plan for the needs of each patient. Cedars-Sinai has an outpatient infusion center offering chemotherapy and supportive services, with 18 private rooms.
- UCLA Medical Center offers Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center (JCCC), designated by the National Cancer Institute as a comprehensive cancer center. This designation is a testament to excellence in patient care as well as in cancer research, community outreach, education, and cancer prevention. At UCLA, teams of cancer specialists work together to treat and assist cancer patients and their families. JCCC has established an international reputation for developing new cancer therapies.
- UC San Diego Health—Moores Cancer Center believes no two cancer cases are exactly the same. The Moores Cancer Center at UC San Diego Health is the region’s only National Cancer Center Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center. Personalized cancer care is a given a UC as it sets cancer treatment standards across the nation for more than 200 types of cancer. The cancer services of UC San Diego Health were ranked among the nation’s best in 2020 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Scripps La Jolla Hospital—Scripps MD Anderson Cancer Center on Genesee Avenue in La Jolla, CA offers excellence in the treatment of cancer. Scripps is specially designed for newly diagnosed patients. Scripps scores high in cancer outcomes and experiences based on patient responses. With a high nurse-to-patient ratio, Scripps is associated with better outcomes and higher rates of satisfaction among patients.
- Memorial Care Long Beach Medical Center is committed to helping patients overcome the many challenges associated with a cancer diagnosis. The state-of-the-art Todd Cancer Institute Pavilion creates an inspirational environment where its expert cancer team, along with patients and their families, work together to develop a highly individualized cancer treatment plan. Memorial Care is dedicated to early diagnosis, research, treatment, and education of those with cancer. Treatments include genetic counseling, minimally invasive surgical techniques, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, immunotherapy, and biologics.
- UCI Medical Center is another cancer treatment facility at the forefront of cancer treatments. It offers chemotherapeutic drugs, biological agents, and immunotherapy drugs. The highly experienced medical oncologists at UCI are a part of a team that treats patients, working together with other cancer center specialists to diagnose, evaluate, and treat solid-tumor cancers such as melanoma, colorectal, breast, and prostate cancer, as well as leukemia and lymphoma (malignancies of the blood). UCI offers the only adult hematopoietic stem-cell transplant services in Orange County.
How Might Your Insurance Coverage Vary from One Facility to Another?
The cost of treating virtually any type of cancer is likely to be very high. Some insurance plans offer catastrophic coverage as an extra to health insurance. This catastrophic coverage kicks in when the individual covered has a serious illness or injury. Unfortunately, these plans often have high deductibles. Some plans only cover hospitalization care related to your cancer, and may not pay for doctor visits, medications, or routine care. Your insurance may dictate where you receive treatment for your cancer.
You generally must choose a provider that is “in-network,” or pre-approved by your insurance carrier. You may, however, be able to receive treatment in a facility of your choice, although you will likely pay a higher co-pay for services. Under a catastrophic plan, you could end up paying as much as 40 percent of your hospital bills out of pocket, depending on the out-of-pocket limit. If your insurance carrier denies your cancer treatment claim through premier cancer facilities in California, it could be time to speak to an attorney who fights for patient rights following insurance denials or delays.
How the LA County Law Offices of Scott Glovsky Can Help Following an Insurance Denial
The Law Offices of Scott Glovsky helps people in the same situation as you every day. We believe insurance companies should be required to hold up their end of the bargain. You faithfully paid your insurance premiums, and your insurance company should cover cancer treatments your doctor deems necessary. Scott Glovsky never hesitates to take on a large insurance company on behalf of his clients. If you live in LA County or elsewhere in the state of California, attorney Scott Glovsky can help. We have offices in Claremont and Pasadena for your convenience. Contact the Law Offices of Scott Glovsky today.