Support nonprofit Sanctuary Coffee in Claremont, CA – All Profits Given to Those in Need
By Scott Glovsky on April 18th, 2020 in Coronavirus Resources
While sheltering-in-place has been difficult for everyone, it has been especially difficult for low to no income families in Southern California. Sanctuary Coffee in Claremont, CA supports this population and several local charities. Unfortunately, due to COVID-19, Sanctuary Coffee is facing severe difficulties.
What is Sanctuary Coffee?
Sanctuary Coffee is a new third wave, artisan, goodwill California 501c3 coffee house in Claremont, CA. This unique coffee house is dedicated to healing societal concerns and reconciling social injustices. Sanctuary Coffee gives 100% of its profits to charitable organizations on the front lines of meeting the needs of marginalized people.
How is Sanctuary Coffee Different?
Sanctuary Coffee was founded by a University Dean and a handful of committed students in 2017. Its mission is to take coffee, the world’s second largest traded commodity, and harness it for good. The coffee house only deals with fair or direct trade coffees and teas to assure the farmers get a fair wage. This practice helps curb a global human slavery problem. Sanctuary Coffee buys coffees from 12 different regions around the globe.
How Does Sanctuary Coffee Give Back?
Along with its coffee broker, Sanctuary Coffee donates 10 pounds of food for every pound of coffee it sells or serves. Since it opened in May 2017, Sanctuary Coffee has donated over 125,000 pounds of food to the more than 75,000 low to no income families in Southern California.
The profits of Sanctuary Coffee assist charities including:
- Ability First, an organization assisting families with children and young adults with developmental and special needs
- Inland Valley Hope Partners, whose mission is to assist homeless individuals and families by providing resources and food.
- Joseph Project, a nonprofit organization committed to addressing the legal consequences that result from human trafficking situations. They work in coordination with a growing network of attorneys equipped to service the needs of survivors on a pro bono basis.
Sanctuary Coffee is also active in the community by mobilizing volunteers for civic projects, providing job and work experience for people with developmental challenges, and assisting individuals who need to fulfill community service hours.
Like other restaurants, bakeries and cafes, COVID-19 has been difficult on Sanctuary Coffee. This nonprofit is doing a tiny fraction of its normal business and had to cut staff and hours.
What Can You Do to Help Right Now?
Fortunately, there are several ways you can help.
- Stop by the coffee house. You can stop by Sanctuary from 9 am to 3 pm for carry out only. They are located at 994 West Foothill Blvd, Claremont, CA 91711. They also sell fresh roasted coffees by the bag.
- Make a tax free donation. You can donate online here or send a check to Sanctuary Coffee 994 W. Foothill Blvd Claremont, CA 91711.
- Purchase coffee bags online. You can purchase bags of coffee here.
Thank you for supporting our local nonprofits.