Media Coverage of Saldana Lawsuit Against Glenhaven Healthcare Nursing Home
November 2021 Update:
The Saldana case, as well as other wrongful death cases against Skilled Nursing Facilities, is in the courts now. Nursing homes argue that they are immune from wrongful death lawsuits under a federal law cited during the pandemic. They claim this PREP Act provides protection against legal claims related to “countermeasures” during a public health emergency. We think this is not a valid argument. Our Saldana lawsuit is based on Glenhaven not taking action to help protect Mr. Saldana. The PREP Act is intended for people and companies using countermeasures to protect people.
It is tragic what is happening in skilled care facilities during the current COVID-19 pandemic. Elder care facilities account for nearly half of COVID-19 deaths in Southern California. Most facilities no longer allow us to visit in person. And many facilities aren’t currently inspected even though it’s a requirement. In-person visits and inspections are two of the main ways we can help ensure our loved ones receive proper care. Our firm filed a lawsuit against Glenhaven Healthcare nursing home because a family lost its loved one.
Profits Over People
This is a case about profits over people. The Saldana family trusted Glenhaven Healthcare nursing home to care for and protect its husband and father Ricardo Saldana. Glenhaven grossly betrayed the family’s trust. During the midst of the pandemic, Glenhaven Healthcare intentionally concealed that a working staff member was heavily exposed to coronavirus. All while prohibiting its staff members from wearing masks and gloves. Glenhaven took no precautions to identify or isolate employees or residents infected with or exposed to the virus. To the contrary, it concealed its knowledge that an employee had been exposed to the virus for roughly two weeks. That is two weeks during which the employee interacted with other employees and residents. Similarly, Glenhaven moved a resident exposed to the virus into Ricardo’s room without telling Ricardo or his family.
As a result of these reckless actions, roughly ten patients, including Ricardo Saldana, were infected with the coronavirus and died.
- Los Angeles Times – Grieving relatives sue facilities over COVID-19 deaths. Nursing homes say they’re immune
- Los Angeles Times – Workers and customers are catching COVID-19. Should businesses escape blame?
- Los Angeles Times – ‘They killed my dad’: Glendale nursing home sued after resident contracts COVID-19 and dies
- ABC 7 Eyewitness News -Coronavirus: Family files wrongful death lawsuit against Glendale nursing home
- KNBC Los Angeles – Coronavirus: Family files wrongful death lawsuit against Glendale nursing home
- Fox 11 News – Family suing Glendale nursing home over COVID-19 death
- Univision National – “Ellos lo mataron”: hija de un mexicano que murió de covid-19 demanda a centro de cuidados alegando negligencia
- Univision Los Angeles – Demandan a un asilo de Glendale en el que falleció un anciano a causa del coronavirus
- Telemundo 52 – Asilo enfrenta una demanda por la muerte de un padre de familia
- Yahoo Spanish – Demandan por negligencia a asilo de ancianos donde murió hispano por COVID-19
- KCRW – LA nursing homes were a hotbed for COVID-19. Now they face a new reality
- LAist – Glendale Nursing Home Sued By Family Of Resident Killed By Coronavirus
- MyNewsLA.com – Nursing Home Horror? Family Sues Glendale Facility For Daddy’s Death During Pandemic
- NBC Los Angeles Newsbreak – Family Members Blame Man’s Death from Virus on Nursing Home Conditions
- RT – Staff with no masks, bosses likening Covid-19 to flu: US family tell RT of legal vendetta over their father’s death at care home
- Los Angeles Daily News – Families agonize waiting for nursing homes to reopen for visitors amid coronavirus outbreak
- Law360 – Calif. Nursing Home Slapped With COVID-19 Death Suit
- FR24 News.com – Coronavirus: Family Files Unjustified Death Lawsuit Against Glendale Nursing Home
- NXG.News – Coronavirus: Family files wrongful death lawsuit against Glendale nursing home -TV
- Pasadena Weekly – Man’s family sues Glendale nursing facility alleging elder abuse, negligence and willful misconduct in coronavirus death
- Daily Journal – Nursing home in Glendale might be 1st sued in virus
If you have a friend or a loved one in a skilled care facility and are concerned, please contact us for help.
The Law Offices of Scott Glovsky specializes in insurance bad faith, catastrophic personal injury & health-related litigation. Scott Glovsky started the firm to help ordinary people suffering because of negligent and bad acts of organizations and corporations.